The Cortland & Falconer, New York Offices, the Smethport and Titusville, Pennsylvania Offices, and the Oak Hill, West Virginia office, of FORECON, Inc. have immediate openings for highly-motivated, full time Staff Forester
The functional role of this position is to assist, coordinate and oversee all aspects of forestry consulting activities for our institutional, industrial, municipal and private landowner clients within the operating area of the company’s Smethport and Titusville, PA and Falconer, NY offices.
Principal Duties Include:
- Management and oversight of long-term land management contracts
- Management and oversight of general consulting contracts
- Provide direction to subordinates for the attainment of regional office goals
- Perform any other job-related duties as requested by the Regional Manager
- This position requires fieldwork including but not limited to:
- timber sale layout and administration
- cruise layout and cruising
- management plan development
- timber marking
- other duties pertaining to our current land management accounts, as well as industrial and private clients
Principal Requirements include:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Forest Resource Management (Forestry) from an accredited school and 3+ years of practical field experience is required.
- Must be familiar and competent in contracts and obligations, have knowledge of environmental laws and regulations, knowledge of silvicultural systems in Northern and Allegheny Hardwoods.
- Forest management expertise including familiarity with economic implications of forest management and standards of performance.
- Basic knowledge of maps and map projections.
- Must be competent in forest mensuration techniques including point sample, plot and 100% inventory methods.
- Basic knowledge of office software: Word; Excel; Access and PowerPoint.
- Self-motivated and able to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability and willingness to work out of town as assigned for 1-2 week time periods.
- Management level experience, SFI, FSC, and/or BMP training, and ACF or SAF Certified Forester designation is preferred.
A “Task and Duty Guide” for this position is available upon request. Pay and benefits are commensurate with skills and experience. Successful candidate may have periodic use of a company vehicle for business purposes at the discretion of the Manager/Supervisor. Basic forestry equipment and professional dues are provided by the company.
A strong work ethic, solid communication skills, an entrepreneurial spirit, and dedication to meet company and client needs are essential. Future advancement opportunities within the company, when available, are solely dependent upon qualifications and a proven ability to complete work accurately and on time, as well as working with clients and staff in a professional and productive manner.